Sunday, May 1, 2016

Dear Journal,
I have started to fear that the Confederate States of America don’t stand a chance against the Union’s growing war  efforts. Have I mentioned how much I despise General Sherman. Both he and Grant have seen to it that I be put under siege, around both Richmond and Petersburg. It has been a hectic year, and like every single day of this war, blood was shed. Both we and the Yanks suffered tremendous casualties during the battle of The Wilderness, and while we won, I am always saddened when lives are lost in the line of duty. President Lincoln was also re-elected for his second term. I heard he won in a landslide against that fool McClellan which isn’t very surprising, considering how very timid the man is. It baffles me. I would like to go back to Mr. Sherman, and his little adventure through Georgia. He had no right to drag women and children into the war. They didn’t ask to be left home alone while their fathers and husbands went off to war. How dare he and his dirty Yanks burn down these people's’ livelihoods, their homes, their cities, their towns. Sherman had a plan I can see that: to kill the hope of the southern people. However, I believe he has done the exact opposite. He has enraged them. My fellow Rebels and their families will never forget the cruelty they endured, and they won’t for generations to come, and while we might not to win the war, the south won’t forgive the country, and they will be stubborn and resistant in changing their ways, even after surrender. Oh, what I am I saying, we have yet to surrender, and I for one will not until I am good and ready. I will not go down unless it is fighting. On that note, I bide you adieu, from the turning movement I am currently stuck in.
With prayer for the future,
Robert E. Lee   

No comments:

Post a Comment