Monday, April 11, 2016

1861 Blog, a letter home

My beloved Mary,
My love, I miss you every second I am away from our home, and I wish to be with you in your time of need. I know you worry for my safety, but on this day I worry not for my own safety, but for the safety of my fellow comrades at war. The first battle of the war was upon the south, and I am proud to report we defended ourselves admirably. I have known from the very beginning that this war would be strenuous and challenging, and I have made it my duty to prepare the south for such because we won’t prolong the war or emerge victorious if we are ignorant. I can not say the same for my brothers on the other side of this war. They expected us to surrender in a day’s time it seems, and for that they paid dearly. General Beauregard commanded the confederacy well, and his strategy: to deploy troops, making a battle line, and to counterattack shocked the ill-prepared Yanks Mary, do you remember when I told you about a young second-lieutenant, I met during the Mexican-American war, Mr. Jackson? Well, it seems he performed with great bravery, facing the Unionists. He stood solid in the face of adversity and danger, earning him the nickname “Stonewall” Jackson. I believe it suits him. Don’t you think so? I am curious as to what the rebel will do next, and I hope to hear of him again. Mary… while I am happy to hear of southern victory, I feel such melancholy at the same time. So much blood was shed, so many lives lost, and I wasn’t there to help defend my home. I would only admitted such to you, but I am ashamed. I fear for my country and my state more and more every passing minute. I know the only way for the country to resolve its problems are through violence, but I don’t expect this war to be quick fought, and the Battle of Bull Run has proven such. I will fight for the Virginian blood that courses through my veins, and I will defend my kin till I can fight any longer, but one thing is for sure, and I say this with a heart full of sorrow, the country might never recover from such bloodshed. 
With love and prayer,
Robert E. Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment